Monday, January 5, 2009

December 2008 - Meetings, Food, and More Meetings

As always, it has been busy in the Next Gen office. Although December ended relatively quietly, there were plenty of things to wrap up before everyone left on holidays and preparations to make for what promises to be a very full first month of 2009.
The first part of December was unusually busy due to a greater number of meetings than I typically attend in a two-week period. A small group met to discuss the first Next Gen Committee meeting that will take place in mid-January that will focus on strategic priorities for the next two years. This is an exciting process, as it will be what shapes the Committee and its direction for some time to come. There is a lot to prepare for a meeting where a two-year plan will be put in place: there will only be roughly an hour and a half to discuss and decide which ideas Next Gen will pursue so everything has to be ready to go so that no time is wasted. At the same meeting, a City GM will be in attendance which could possibly further limit the time available for the main item on the agenda. I have been working hard to make sure everything is in place for this meeting, including the necessary props to hold a "dotmocracy", where Committee members will be able to place votes in a quick and efficient way by placing red dots beside their preferred strategies.
Another meeting that I attended was the December Sustainability Working Group meeting. This group has been focusing on revamping the Next Gen Terms of Reference, and at this particular meeting the group did a second edit on changes made at the November Working Group meeting. This process is at times painfully dry, however necessary, as Next Gen has changed significantly since the Terms of Reference were originally created approximately two years ago. It is probably safe to say that most of those who attended this meeting came out having enjoyed the sandwiches and cookies more than the time spent on the items at hand!
A number of other meetings also took place, however most had a more laid back feel, as plenty of tasty treats and delicious food were available in honor of the holiday season. Of note was the delicious turkey buffet held for the entire CN Tower, and the fantastic dinner at Sorrentino's for my branch of Community Services which our director generously paid for. This is definitely one of the perks of being a Co-op student - although not a permanent employee I often get to indulge in the special "treats" offered to my co-workers.
Coming up in January, there is a lot going on. The Committee will meet to discuss the strategic priorities, the Sustainability Working Group will hopefully approve the final changes to the Terms of Reference, and the Events Working Group will continue to put together what promises to be another excellent Pecha Kucha Night. I am anxious for January 14th, when the New Year Mixer that I have been working hard to plan will be taking place. I really hope that all of the guests come away knowing more about the other attendees and that they enjoy the evening, including the break-dance performance that we have booked. I am also really looking forward to the recruitment process that will begin sometime in late January, where the Next Gen Committee will select new Community representatives.
With more and tasks on the go, I am continuing to work on my time-management skills. Because my position requires me to do such a variety of work on a daily basis, I am working hard at prioritizing and staying organized in order to be as efficient as possible. I am very happy that I will be staying with Next Gen for another four months, as I feel that I still have a lot to learn and I plan on making the most of this opportunity. And possibly most remarkable, I am not yet sick of meetings!

No comments: