Wednesday, April 1, 2009

March 2009 - In Like a Lion, Out Like a... Bigger Lion?

As Edmonton slowly defrosts (slowly being the key word there), things with Next Gen have slowed to a mild roar. Event-heavy January and February behind me, I now spend my time attending meetings... which will almost all eventually lead to more events, but for the time being they are still just meetings. There are still lots of different things going on and the best part is I will be a part of it until June! My time with Next Gen has been extended until they break for summer, and I can't be happier!

The last month has been really fun, since the new City and Community reps have joined the Next Gen Committee. I have really enjoyed getting to know them and helping them figure out what Next Gen is all about. The best part is that they all have very different backgrounds, and bring something unique to the table. It's been great being a resource for them. I feel that I am in a great position to help them out: although I am relatively new to Next Gen, that gives me the chance to pass along things that I didn't necessarily learn right away that would have been valuable to know. Also, the fact that I attend all of the Working Group meetings help me stay up to date on everything that is going on with Next Gen and I can easily pass that information on as needed. To help get to know the newest additions to the Next Gen team, a laid back social mixer was held at the end of the month. It was so great just to chat about every day things and learn more about these really interesting people! I think our selection team did a fantastic job in choosing the new members. I'm not just saying that - they have absolutely stepped up to the plate, and brought new vision and energy to the initiative.

I have been given the task of collecting information about holding a Board Development session. This will serve as sort of a continuation of the orientation sessions held for the new members, and a great refresher course for our previous Committee members. Everyone (including me!) will have the chance to learn about working with volunteers, conflict management, and other issues related to boards and committees. We were really excited to learn that the Province of Alberta offers this workshop free of charge! Hopefully we will all learn a lot, and at the very least have the chance to share ideas and thoughts in a space that allows for in depth conversation.

I am also getting to the point in my term where it is time to step back from some of the roles that I have taken on at the Working Group level. Because the transition of new co-chairs is almost complete, I am giving back some of the responsibilities that I took on earlier in my term when the Committee size was relatively low. Now with new Committee members and volunteer capacity at a maximum, I can hand over some of the extra things that I had taken on without worrying that one person is given too much to do. This is necessary as well in preparation for when I will (sadly!) leave Next Gen sometime in the coming months. Due to economic uncertainty, there is no guarantee that Next Gen will be able to take on a Coop student in the fall, so this will also prepare the Working Groups for that possible situation.

Speaking of what is down the road, it's about that time where I need to start looking at my options post-Coop. I am so glad that I was able to join Next Gen at this point, because I've had the opportunity to connect with so many people with different affiliations. I've been working really hard to show them my skills and abilities so that when I am done with Next Gen and finally have that piece of paper saying that I have my undergrad degree, I might have some opportunities for jobs, or possibly even a career. I have really come to like Edmonton, and Next Gen has exposed me to so many different organizations that I feel I have a really good feel for the city. If possible, I hope to be able to stay here to pursue a career. With the economy as it is I am a little nervous, as jobs are not as easy to come by as they once were. However, I am confident that the experience and skills that I have gained during my "Coop Career" will set me above the average undergrad and help me find something interesting! It is a little scary knowing that I will have to make the transition from Coop to "real job", but I know that I am much more prepared than if I had just stepped out of the classroom with little to no experience at all.

Being a part of Coop also allowed me to participate in a super fun project: I was invited to do a photo shoot for the University! I was so excited to be asked to do this - although I certainly do not count myself as a particularly photogenic individual, I knew it would be fun. In need of extra volunteers, I was also asked to invite some friends along. We had a really great time telling silly stories to make each other laugh all in the hopes of enticing potential U of L students to apply (the photos will be used for various promotional material, including recruitment items). I was absolutely blown away when the Coop office presented me with a certificate thanking me for my involvement with the program... what a great gift! It's amazing how when you really get behind something you believe in, it doesn't even seem like work... and then to be rewarded for your efforts is just icing on the cake! Very thoughtful icing, that is.

No comments: